One Goal – The Role of Marketing and Sales in a Buyer 2.0 World
Carlos Hildago, CEO Annuitas Group
Carlos Hildago provided the Buyer 2.0 Snapshot. This was a session that made a great impression. He reinforced a theme introduced in earlier sessions that it is essential today for Sales to be viewed as Thought Leaders, not just subject matter experts. Then, Carlos grabbed the audience attention. “Sales reps are no longer in control.” It’s a Buyer 2.0 world, and Buyers often know more than their sales rep.
- 70% are engaged socially, and use social channels to learn about products and services.
- 41% use budget as a buying criteria.
- 41% engage sales after initial research. That is expected to increase to 85% by 2020.
- 63% chose helpfulness and knowledge when selecting a vendor.
- Sales Hunters are now the hunted. Buyers are more informed now than they have ever been in history, seeking information independent of sales.
- 70-80% of leads aren’t followed up on by Sales. Marketing is better off spending that money on social or revenue generating projects
- A stunning 50% of marketing teams can’t accurately track ROI.
- Traditional marketing has shifted to online, inbound and social as corporate marketing teams have become more sophisticated in use of pervasive technology such as web analytics and business intelligence.
Sales Change Impacts
- Shift from product or service sale to Business Adviser, Thought Leader.
- Only 13% of customers think sales can do it.
- Greater social involvement is needed. Socially active sales teams (blog, Twitter, FB, forum, LinkedIn, rich engagement with live video conversations) sell more than teams stuck in “old school” methods – phone, email, classic online presentation, etc.
- Social channels need to be integrated with CRM. Salesforce.com is one of the best for incorporating social engagement channels.
- Need to partner with Marketing to create a singular revenue focused machine.
- Utilize BIG DATA – know more about the prospect
It’s a Buyer 2.0 world, and Sales had better get used to it. Time to up your game.